And the Birds Rained Down
Three elderly hermits live deep in the woods, cut off from the rest of the world. While wildfires threaten the region, their quiet life is about to be shaken by the arrival of two women in this gentle, elegiac study of intertwined lives.
Three elderly hermits live deep in the woods, cut off from the rest of the world. While wildfires threaten the region, their quiet life is about to be shaken by the arrival of two women.... A luminous octogenarian, unjustly institutionalized her whole life, and a young photographer charged with interviewing survivors of the region's deadliest forest fire.
After the death of the eldest hermit, the two women make an astonishing discovery: hundreds of paintings echoing his tragic experience related to that devastating fire.
A story of intertwined destinies, where love can happen at any age.
"A deceptively gentle rural drama with an ecological slant and a tone that darkens as it advances, And the Birds Rained Down ends up delivering far more than it initially promises."—Jonathan Holland, The Hollywood Reporter
"A quiet, gentle film about emotional and geographic exile, this melancholic charmer is a choral character study whose slow pacing matches the unhurried lifestyle of its protagonists and the diurnal and seasonal rhythms of the nature they inhabit."—Lee Marshall, ScreenDaily
- Original Language Title: Il pleuvait des oiseaux
- Director: Louise Archambault
- Principal Cast: Rémy Girard, Andrée Lachapelle, Gilbert Sicotte, Eve Landry, Éric Robidoux, Louise Portal
- Country: Canada (Québec)
- Year: 2019
- Running Time: 127 min.
- Producer: Ginette Petit
- Screenplay: Louise Archambault
- Cinematographers: Mathieu Laverdière
- Editors: Richard Comeau
- Music: Andréa Bélanger, David Ratté
- Awards: Göteborg 2020 (Dragon Award for Best International Film)
- Filmography: Gabrielle (2013), Familia (2005)
- Language: French
- Has Subtitles: Yes