May 29 - June 4, 2020
Killer whales are beloved majestic, friendly giants yet infamous for their capacity to kill viciously. Blackfish unravels the complexities of this dichotomy, employing the story of the notorious performing whale Tilikum, who—unlike any orca in the wild—has taken the lives of several people while in captivity. Blackfish expands on the discussion of keeping such intelligent creatures in captivity.
As part of the series Magnolia Pictures; A Few of Our Favorite Docs, 10% of the ticket sales will be donated to a charity of the filmmakers' choice. Read more about the series below. This film's charity: GiveDirectly's COVID relief fund
Magnolia Pictures will present a live Q&A on June 3 at 5:00pm PT with director Gabriela Cowperthwaite. Questions for the Q&A can be submitted to email@example.com, or you can tweet at them using the hashtag #MagnoliaDocSeries.
This film is part of Magnolia Pictures: A Few of Our Favorite Docs, a virtual cinema series from Magnolia Pictures featuring four films, each opening on a Friday, with a live Q&A the following Wednesday. 10% of ticket sales will be donated to a charity of the filmmaker choice.
Other films in the series:
- RBG - opening May 15, with a live Q&A on May 20 with directors Betsy West and Julie Cohen, moderated by Melena Ryzik from The New York Times. Charity: NYU Langone's food pantry, The Table
- Life Itself - opening May 22, with a live Q&A on May 27 with Chaz Ebert in conversation with director Steve James. Charity: Chicago Cinema Workers Fund
- Hail Satan? - opening June 5, with a live Q&A on June 10 with director Penny Lane in conversation with Lucien Greaves, head of The Satanic Temple. Charity: GiveDirectly's COVID relief fund
- Director: Gabriela Cowperthwaite
- Principal Cast: Kim Ashdown, Samantha Berg, John Jett, John Crowe, Jeff Ventre, Carol Ray, Ken Balcomb, John J. Hargrove
- Country: USA, Canada, Spain
- Year: 2013
- Running Time: 83 min.
- Producer: Gabriela Cowperthwaite, Manuel V. Oteyza
- Screenplay: Gabriela Cowperthwaite, Eli Despres
- Cinematographers: Jonathan Ingalls, Christopher Towey
- Editors: Eli Despres
- Website: Official Film Website
- Language: English, Spanish
- Has Subtitles: Yes