Opens June 5, 2020
Chronicling the extraordinary rise of one of the most colorful and controversial religious movements in American history, Hail Satan? is an inspiring and entertaining new feature documentary from acclaimed director Penny Lane (Nuts!, Our Nixon). When media-savvy members of the Satanic Temple organize a series of public actions designed to advocate for religious freedom and challenge corrupt authority, they prove that with little more than a clever idea, a mischievous sense of humor, and a few rebellious friends, you can speak truth to power in some truly profound ways. As charming and funny as it is thought-provoking, Hail Satan? offers a timely look at a group of often misunderstood outsiders whose unwavering commitment to social and political justice has empowered thousands of people around the world.
As part of the series Magnolia Pictures; A Few of Our Favorite Docs, 10% of the ticket sales will be donated to a charity of the filmmakers' choice. Read more about the series below. This film's charity: GiveDtirectly's COVID relief fund
Magnolia Pictures will present a live Q&A on June 10 with director Penny Lane in conversation with Lucien Greaves, head of The Satanic Temple. Questions for the Q&A can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can tweet at them using the hashtag #MagnoliaDocSeries.
This film is part of Magnolia Pictures: A Few of Our Favorite Docs, a virtual cinema series from Magnolia Pictures featuring four films, each opening on a Friday, with a live Q&A the following Wednesday. 10% of ticket sales will be donated to a charity of the filmmaker choice.
Other films in the series:
- RBG - opening May 15, with a live Q&A on May 20 with directors Betsy West and Julie Cohen, moderated by Melena Ryzik from The New York Times. Charity: NYU Langone's food pantry, The Table
- Life Itself - opening May 22, with a live Q&A on May 27 with Chaz Ebert in conversation with director Steve James. Charity: Chicago Cinema Workers Fund
- Blackfish - opening May 29, with a live Q&A on June 3 with director Gabriela Cowperthwaite. Charity: GiveDirectly's COVID relief fund
- Director: Penny Lane
- Principal Cast: Lucien Greaves
- Country: USA
- Year: 2019
- Running Time: 95 min.
- Producer: Gabriel Sedgwick
- Cinematographers: Naiti Gámez
- Language: English
- Rating: R