Documentary master Steve James (Hoop Dreams) recounts the inspiring and entertaining life of world-renowned film critic and social commentator Roger Ebert. From his Pulitzer Prize-winning film criticism to becoming one of the most influential cultural voices in America, Ebert's story is by turns personal, funny, painful, and transcendent.
As part of the series Magnolia Pictures; A Few of Our Favorite Docs, 10% of the ticket sales will be donated to a charity of the filmmakers' choice. Read more about the series below. This film's charity: Chicago Cinema Workers Fund
Magnolia Pictures will present a live Q&A on May 27 with Chaz Ebert in conversation with director Steve James. Questions for the Q&A can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can tweet at them using the hashtag #MagnoliaDocSeries.
"A paradoxical and vitally overflowing character emerges: a compassionate moralist with vast appetites, a raucous public performer whose confessional candor had a nearly religious purity."—The New Yorker
"James cuts - as in all of his best work—straight to the human heart of the matter, celebrating both the writer and the man, the one inseparable from the other, largely in Ebert's own words."—Variety
This film is part of Magnolia Pictures: A Few of Our Favorite Docs, a virtual cinema series from Magnolia Pictures featuring four films, each opening on a Friday, with a live Q&A the following Wednesday. 10% of ticket sales will be donated to a charity of the filmmakers' choice.
Other films in the series:
- RBG - opening May 15, with a live Q&A on May 20 with directors Betsy West and Julie Cohen, moderated by Melena Ryzik from The New York Times. Charity: NYU Langone's food pantry, The Table
- Blackfish - opening May 29, with a live Q&A on June 3 with director Gabriela Cowperthwaite. Charity: GiveDirectly's COVID relief fund
- Hail Satan? - opening June 5, with a live Q&A on June 10 with director Penny Lane in conversation with Lucien Greaves, head of The Satanic Temple. Charity: GiveDirectly's COVID relief fund
- Director: Steve James
- Principal Cast: Roger Ebert, Martin Scorsese, Werner Herzog, Errol Morris
- Country: USA
- Year: 2014
- Running Time: 120 min.
- Producer: Martin Scorsese, Steven Zaillian
- Website: Official Film Website
- Rating: R
- US Distributor: Magnolia Pictures