June 5 - 25, 2020
Famed horror writer Shirley Jackson finds inspiration for her next book after she and her husband take in a young couple in this award-winning Gothic drama from Josephine Decker.
Renowned horror writer Shirley Jackson (Elisabeth Moss) is on the precipice of writing her masterpiece when the arrival of newlyweds upends her meticulous routine and heightens tensions in her already tempestuous relationship with her philandering husband (Michael Stuhlbarg). The middle-aged couple, prone to ruthless barbs and copious afternoon cocktails, begins to toy mercilessly with the naïve young couple at their door.
"A perversely entertaining take on a brief period of Shirley Jackson's life gives Elisabeth Moss one of her most daring roles to date."—Benjamin Lee, The Guardian
"Elizabeth Moss is phenomenal"—Chris Evangelista, SlashFilm
"A spellbinding picture."—Jason Bailey, The Playlist
"A psychologically layered portrait of unapologetic womanhood that's dangerously sensual and sumptuously rebellious."—Carlos Aguilar, The Wrap
- Director: Josephine Decker
- Principal Cast: Elisabeth Moss, Michael Stuhlbarg, Odessa Young, Logan Lerman
- Country: USA
- Year: 2020
- Running Time: 107 min.
- Producer: Christine Vachon, David Hinojosa, Sue Naegle, Sarah Gubbins, Jeffrey Soros, Simon Horsman
- Screenplay: Sarah Gubbins
- Cinematographers: Sturla Brandth Grøvlen
- Editors: David Barker
- Music: Tamar-kali
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Sundance 2020 (U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Award: Auteur Filmmaking)
- Filmography: Madeline's Madeline (2018), Mosaic (2017), Thou Wast Mild and Lovely (2014), Butter on the Latch (2013)
- Language: English