Song Without a Name
Based on harrowing true events of an Indigenous Andean woman whose newborn is whisked away and never returned, this Kafkaesque thriller suggests a deep corruption at the roots of Peruvian society.
Based on harrowing true events, Song Without a Name tells the story of Georgina, an Indigenous Andean woman whose newborn baby is whisked away moments after its birth in a downtown Lima clinic—and never returned. Stonewalled by a byzantine and indifferent legal system, Georgina approaches journalist Pedro Campas, who uncovers a web of fake clinics and abductions—suggesting a rotting corruption deep within Peruvian society. Set in 1988, in a Peru wracked by political violence and turmoil, Melina León's heart-wrenching first feature renders Georgina's story in gorgeous, shadowy black-and-white cinematography, "styled like the most beautiful of bad dreams" (Variety). Song Without a Name is a "Kafkaesque thriller" (The Hollywood Reporter) that unflinchingly depicts real-life, stranger-than fiction tragedies with poetic beauty.
- Original Language Title: Canción sin nombre
- Director: Melina Leon
- Principal Cast: Pamela Mendoza, Tommy Parraga, Lucio Rojas, Maykol Hernandez, Lidia Quispe
- Country: Peru, Spain, USA
- Year: 2019
- Running Time: 97 min.
- Screenplay: Melina Leon, Michael J. White
- Cinematographers: Inti Briones
- Editors: Melina Leon, Manuel Bauer, Antolín Prieto
- Music: Pauchi Sasaki
- Awards: Palm Springs International Film Festival 2020 (Best Ibero American Film), Stockholm Film Festival 2019 (Best Film, cinematography), Thessaloniki Film Festival 2019 (Best Director)
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Spanish, Quechua
- Has Subtitles: Yes