A tightly wound and engrossing portrait of a perfectionist music teacher on the verge of a nervous collapse, with a truly note-perfect Nina Hoss performance.
Anna Bronsky is a violin teacher at a music-focused high school. Despite the opposition of all other teachers, Anna drives through the admission of a student, Alexander, in whom she detects a remarkable talent. Committed, she prepares him for the intermediate exam and neglects her family—her son Jonas, whom she brings into competition with her new student, and her husband Philippe. Her colleague Christian, with whom she has an affair, persuades her to join a quintet. When she fails during their joint concert, the pressure mounts and she focuses all her attention on her student Alexander. Come the day of the exam, events take a tragic turn.
"Ina Weisse's tightly wound portrait of a music teacher on the verge of a nervous collapse serves up another note-perfect Nina Hoss solo"—Variety
- Original Language Title: Das Vorspiel
- Director: Ina Weisse
- Principal Cast: Nina Hoss, Simon Abkarian, Jens Albinus, Ilja Monti, Serafin Mishiev, Sophie Rois, Thomas Thieme
- Country: Germany, France
- Year: 2019
- Running Time: 99 min.
- Producer: Felix von Boehm, Pierre-Olivier Bardet
- Screenplay: Ina Weisse, Daphne Charizani
- Cinematographers: Judith Kaufmann
- Editors: Hansjörg Weißbrich
- Website: The Audition
- Awards: San Sebastian International Film Festival 2019 (Silver Shell, Best Actress), Stockholm International Film Festival 2019 (Best Actress)
- Filmography: The Architect (2008)
- Language: German, French