The Donut King
Everything you thought you knew about the donut begins with Ted Ngoy. This is the unlikely story of a Cambodian refugee arriving in American in 1975 and building a multi-million-dollar empire baking America's favorite pastry: the donut.
Ted's story is one of fate, love, survival, hard knocks, and redemption. It's the rags to riches story of a refugee escaping Cambodia, arriving in America in 1975 and building an unlikely multi-million-dollar empire baking America's favorite pastry: the donut.
Ted sponsored hundreds of visas for incoming refugees and help them get on their feet teaching them the ways of the donut business. By 1979, he was living the American Dream. But, in life, great rise can come with great falls.
- Director: Alice Gu
- Principal Cast: Ted Ngoy, Christy Ngoy, Mayly Tao, Ning Yen, Bun Chhay, Kom Chris Ngoy, Susan Wahid, Chet Ngoy, William Mimiaga, Savy Ngoy
- Country: USA, Cambodia
- Year: 2020
- Running Time: 94 min.
- Producer: Jose Nunez, Alice Gu, Farhad Amid
- Screenplay: Alice Gu, Carol Martori
- Cinematographers: Alice Gu
- Editors: Carol Martori
- Music: Peter Lauridsen
- Language: English, Cantonese, Cambodian