In Order of Disappearance
June 15, 2014
There hasn't been a darkly comic and enjoyable thriller with this much blood spilled in a frigid landscape since the Coen Brothers' Fargo. Stellan Skarsgard plays a snowplow driver who will stop at nothing to bring his son's killers to justice.
Dirty Harry meets Fargo in this dark Norwegian crime comedy. Swedish émigré Nils drives a snowplow, endlessly clearing the roads in a remote, northern winter paradise. Life is good, and he’s just been presented with the town’s “Citizen of the Year” award when he receives news that his son has died from an apparent heroin overdose. Disbelieving the official report, Nils soon uncovers evidence of the young man’s murder—a victim in a turf war between the local crime boss, known as “The Count,” and his Serbian rivals. Armed with heavy machinery and a good dose of beginner’s luck, Nils embarks upon a quest for revenge that soon escalates into a full-blown underworld gang war, with the body count spiraling ever higher and higher. As Nils, Stellan Skarsgård gives a wonderfully nuanced comic performance while director Hans Petter Moland delivers a ruthlessly hilarious film with an uncompromising mixture of violent thrills and volatile laughs.
Born in 1955 in Oslo, Norway, Moland studied film at Emerson College in Boston and has been working as a director for over 20 years, making commercials and feature films which include performances by Stellan Skarsgård and Charlotte Rampling. His 1995 feature, Kjærlighetens Kjøtere (Zero Kelvin), was awarded a special mention by the jury at San Sebastián, and Aberdeen (2000) won the main prize at the Nordic Film Days in Lübeck. The Beautiful Country screened in the Berlinale’s Competition in 2004, as did En Ganske Snill Mann (A Somewhat Gentle Man) in 2010. He made his first documentary, When Bubbles Burst, in 2012.
- Director: Hans Petter Moland
- Principal Cast: Stellan Skarsgård, Bruno Ganz, Pål Sverre Hagen, Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, Jakob Oftebro
- Country: Norway
- Year: 2014
- Running Time: 116 minutes
- Producer: Stein B. Kvae, Finn Gjerdrum
- Screenplay: Kim Fupz Aakeson
- Cinematographers: Philip Øgaard
- Editors: Jens Christian Fodstad
- Music: Kaspar Kaae, Kåre Vestrheim, Brian Batz
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: When Bubbles Burst (Doc, 2013); A Somewhat Gentle Man (2011); Comrade Pedersen (2006); The Beautiful Country (2004); United We Stand (2002); Aberdeen (2000); Zero Kelvin (1995); The Last Lieutenant (1993)
- Language: Norwegian, Swedish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Norwegian Film Institute