The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
June 14, 2014
An absurdist tale of a man who escapes from the nursing home on his hundredth birthday. Encountering the extraordinary and the truly strange, the man’s comedic journey takes us on a colorful, riotous romp.
Take a wily centenarian, stolen money, angry skinheads, an elephant, and circus costumes, and you have the ingredients of a rollicking, slapstick cross-country road trip. Oh, and did we mention explosions? The titular old man is also a dynamite expert. The result from actor-turned-director Felix Herngren is one of 2013’s highest-grossing comedies in Sweden. Based on the bestselling novel by Jonas Jonasson, this anarchic film follows the journey of Allan Karlsson (Robert Gustafsson), who yearns to escape from his 100th birthday party at his retirement home. After doing exactly what the film’s title indicates, Allan meets an elderly soulmate, Julius (Iwar Wiklander), and unwittingly finds a suitcase full of loot that belongs to a violent skinhead. While on the run, the geriatric duo pick up a driver named Benny (David Wiberg) and former gangster moll Gunilla (Mia Skaringer), who help them evade authorities and make new enemies. As the farcical chase rolls on and the body count rises, the film flashes back to Allan’s itinerant youth. Like a sillier, more destructive Forrest Gump, Allan is seen stumbling through the 20th century, shifting the course of world events with the likes of Franco, Truman, Stalin, Reagan, and Gorbachev. With a bouncy soundtrack, cartoonish violence, a deliberate disrespect for history, and a commitment to lunacy, this propulsive black comedy reminds us that life doesn’t begin until our second century.
Native to Sweden, Felix Herngren began his career 20 years ago as an actor and comedian. Herngren began directing in 1999 and has since been named one of the top five commercial directors by The Gunn Report. In 2007 Herngren opened his own production company FLX where he writes, produces, and directs commercials and television shows in addition to feature films.
- Original Language Title: Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann
- Director: Felix Herngren
- Principal Cast: Robert Gustafsson, Iwar Wiklander, Mia Skäringer, Alan Ford, David Wiberg
- Premiere Status: North American Premiere
- Country: Sweden
- Year: 2013
- Running Time: 114 minutes
- Producer: Malte Forssell, Felix Herngren, Henrik Jansson-Schweizer, Patrick Nebout
- Screenplay: Felix Herngren, Hans Ingemansson, based on a novel by Jonas Jonasson
- Cinematographers: Göran Hallberg
- Editors: Henrik Källberg, Björn Stein
- Music: Erik Nilsson
- Awards: Guldbagge Awards 2014 (Audience Award)
- Filmography: Every Other Week (2006); Adult Behavior (1999)
- Language: Swedish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Studio Canal