Opens September 7, 2018
Andreiv Rublev charts the life of the great icon painter through a turbulent period of 15th Century Russian history, a period marked by endless fighting between rival Princes and by Tatar invasions.
Director Andrei Tarkovsky shows the beautiful icons created by this famous iconographer only at the end of this long, long film. He shows that they were not just painted by a contemplative monk in a peaceful monastery. They were painted in the midst of the bustling life and terrible cruelty of medieval Russia, a land of ignorant peasants, cruel princes and Tartars invading thrice a year.
- Director: Andrei Tarkovsky
- Principal Cast: Anatoliy Solonitsyn, Ivan Lapikov, Nikolai Grinko, Nikolai Sergeyev, Irma Raush
- Country: Soviet Union
- Year: 1966
- Running Time: 205 minutes
- Screenplay: Andrey Konchalovskiy, Andrei Tarkovsky
- Cinematographers: Vadim Yusov
- Language: Russian, Italian, Tatar
- Has Subtitles: Yes