Carmen & Lola
June 14, 2019
Youth Jury Prize for Best FutureWave Feature
Stunning bride-to-be Carmen and ambitious street artist Lola find themselves in the throes of a secret first love, risking safety, status, and their own future within their highly conservative Roma community.
The daughter of street vendors eking out a living on the outskirts of Madrid, bombshell Carmen (Rosy Rodriguez) would never think to question the norms of her deeply religious, and highly marginalized, Roma community. Hemmed in by both a suffocating local patriarchy and larger anti-Roma prejudice, her life is shaping up to be one of early marriage and motherhood with a young man no less traditionalist than her father, with the remainder of her years spent cleaning house and cooking, with maybe even a small hairdressing job on the side. ("School stuff! Book stuff! But no wedding plans here!" barks her father as he balks at Carmen's ideas about her future.) But when she unexpectedly crosses paths with thoughtful, rebellious graffiti artist Lola (Zaira Romero), who is also quietly pushing against the restrictions of their shared neighborhood, the pair find themselves caught between the electricity of first love and the harsh realities of navigating two hostile worlds, leading to a powerful moment of reckoning. Enriched with exuberant music performed by actual Roma musicians from the Madrid area, this is a smart, lively, and sexy debut feature from writer/director Arantxa Echevarria.
Arantxa Echevarria is a Spanish production manager, director, and writer, whose short films and documentaries have played at international film festivals and whose De noche y de pronto (2013) was nominated for Best Fiction Short at the 28th edition of the Goya Awards. From an early age, Echevarria was fascinated by film and went on to study audiovisual communication; her first short film Panchito (2010) merely fueled her love for storytelling. Carmen & Lola, her debut feature film, premiered internationally in 2018.
- Original Language Title: Carmen y Lola
- Director: Arantxa Echevarria
- Principal Cast: Zaira Romero, Rosy Rodriguez, Moreno Borja, Rafela Leon, Carolina Yuste
- Country: Spain
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 105 minutes
- Producer: Pilar Sanchez
- Screenplay: Arantxa Echevarria
- Cinematographers: Pilar Sanchez
- Editors: Renato Sanjuan
- Music: Nina Aranda
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Palm Springs International Film Festival 2019 (CV Cine Award), Goya Awards 2019 (Best Supporting Actress, New Director), Guadalajara International Film Festival 2019 (Ibero-America Competition - Best First Feature)
- Filmography: Debut Feature Film
- Language: Spanish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- Format: DCP
- International Sales: Latido Films