Cinema Italian Style: The Ties
December 10 - 17, 2020
Naples, early 1980’s. Aldo and Vanda go through a separation, after he reveals his affair. Their two young children are torn between their parents, in a whirlwind of resentment. But the ties that keep people together are inescapable, even without love. Now, 30 years later, Aldo and Vanda are still married.
Includes pre-recorded Q&A with Cinema Italian Style programmer Angelo Acerbi and director Daniele Luchetti.
Available to view December 10 - 17 with Cinema Italian Style pass or individual ticket for this film. 48 hours to complete viewing once started.
In early 1980s Naples, husband Aldo (Luigi Lo Cascio) confesses to wife Vanda (Alba Rohrwacher) that he’s been unfaithful, causing a rupture in their once-happy union. Their two young children, stuck firmly in the middle, bear the emotional fallout. But the ties that bind can be inescapable, even without love. Now, 30 years later, Aldo and Vanda are still together, but their relationship with one other and with their now-adult children continues to be shaped by heartbreak and resentment. In his affecting portrait of a marriage in crisis, acclaimed filmmaker Daniele Luchetti (My Brother is an Only Child, Our Life) crafts a stirring domestic drama that shifts back and forth through the years—time, it seems, doesn’t heal every wound.
“[Luchetti]’s grasp of relationships is utterly authentic and dives deep into the cruel dynamics of a couple at the breaking point”—The Hollywood Reporter
- Original Language Title: Lacci
- Director: Daniele Luchetti
- Principal Cast: Alba Rohrwacher, Luigi Lo Cascio, Laura Morante, Silvio Orlando, Giovanna Mezzogiorno, Adriano Giannini, Linda Caridi
- Country: Italy
- Year: 2020
- Running Time: 100 min.
- Producer: Beppe Caschetto
- Screenplay: Daniele Luchetti, Domenico Starnone, Francesco Piccolo, adapted from Starnone's novel
- Cinematographers: Ivan Casalgrandi
- Editors: Daniele Luchetti, Ael Dallier Vega
- Filmography: Ordinary Happiness (2019), Those Happy Years (2013), Our Life (2010), My Brother Is an Only Child (2007), Ginger and Cinnamon (2003)
- Language: Italian
- Has Subtitles: Yes