November 11, 2019
Jack London's 1909 novel is transposed to Naples, as a sailor's dream of the literary life as a way to pursue a beautiful upper-class woman clashes politically with his humbler background.
Martin Eden (Luca Marinelli), a dissatisfied sailor, dreams of becoming a writer after a chance encounter with the sophisticated, high-class Elena (Jessica Cressy). But the pursuit of his dream leads him to betray his friends and deny his working-class roots, which eats away at him until he undergoes a political reawakening. Based on the Jack London novel of the same name, Pietro Marcello's film walks a fine line between documentary and fiction, invoking comparisons to both Rossellini and Visconti.
- Director: Pietro Marcello
- Principal Cast: Luca Marinelli, Carlo Cecchi, Jessica Cressy, Vicenzo Nemolato, Marco Leonardi, Denise Sardisco, Carmen Pommella
- Country: Italy, France
- Year: 2019
- Running Time: 127 minutes
- Producer: Pietro Marcello
- Screenplay: Maurizio Braucci, Pietro Marcello
- Cinematographers: Francesco Di Giacomo, Alessandro Abate
- Music: Marco Messina, Sacha Ricci, Paolo Marzocchi
- Language: Italian
- Has Subtitles: Yes