February 16, 2019
An ambulance driver gets more than he bargained for when he gets entangled with a beautiful heiress with murderous intent.
Vouchers are not valid for this screening.
Ambulance driver Frank Jessup (Robert Mitchum) responds to an emergency at a hilltop mansion where he meets an heiress (Jean Simmons) with an Electra-fying secret. The couple's affair takes a dark turn once her parents unexpectedly drop out of the picture. The simple, doom-laden plot is directed with panache by Otto Preminger, who gets wonderful performances from Simmons and Mitchum, both of whom hated his guts. Featuring a haunting score by the great Dimitri Tiomkin, this film features one of noir's most stunning finales.
Saturday (2/16), Sunday (2/17), and Monday (2/18) only!
SIFF Cinema Egyptian Back Bar
Chef Joshua Henderson of Huxley Wallace Collective presents:
- Hot Dog Sandwich ($5) - griddled hebrew national dog, butter toasted martins potato roll, ketchup and stone ground mustard
- Spicy Chicken Sandwich ($8) - spiced fried chicken, martins potato roll, lemon mayo, iceberg lettuce
- Frito Pie ($6) - juanita's tortilla chips topped with 3 bean chili, cheddar cheese, crema, minced onions
- Director: Otto Preminger
- Principal Cast: Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons, Mona Freeman, Herbert Marshall, Leon Ames, Barbara O’Neil, Kenneth Tobey, Jim Backus
- Country: USA
- Year: 1953
- Running Time: 91 minutes
- Producer: Otto Preminger
- Screenplay: Frank Nugent, Oscar Millard
- Cinematographers: Harry Stradling Sr.
- Language: English
- Format: 35mm