Pickup on South Street
February 17, 2019
A pickpocket and a streetwalker inadvertently get caught in the crossfire of Communist spies and Federal agents.
Vouchers are not valid for this screening.
Mercenary pickpocket Skip McCoy (Richard Widmark) and a brassy streetwalker named Candy (Jean Peters) find themselves frantically playing both ends against the middle when some purloined microfilm puts them in the crossfire between Communist spies and Federal agents. Fuller's punchy and apolitical thriller sides with society's marginalized miscreants at a time when the nation was being torn apart by McCarthy-era ideology. Many consider this his signature work: smart, savvy, and stylish-a cinematic slap-in-the-face that's a perfect blending of Fuller's tabloid style and Fox's polished craftsmanship.
Saturday (2/16), Sunday (2/17), and Monday (2/18) only!
SIFF Cinema Egyptian Back Bar
Chef Joshua Henderson of Huxley Wallace Collective presents:
- Hot Dog Sandwich ($5) - griddled hebrew national dog, butter toasted martins potato roll, ketchup and stone ground mustard
- Spicy Chicken Sandwich ($8) - spiced fried chicken, martins potato roll, lemon mayo, iceberg lettuce
- Frito Pie ($6) - juanita's tortilla chips topped with 3 bean chili, cheddar cheese, crema, minced onions
- Director: Samuel Fuller
- Principal Cast: Richard Widmark, Jean Peters, Thelma Ritter
- Country: USA
- Year: 1953
- Running Time: 80 minutes
- Producer: Jules Schermer
- Screenplay: Samuel Fuller, Dwight Taylor
- Cinematographers: Joe MacDonald
- Language: English