The Man Who Cheated Himself
February 22, 2018
A veteran San Francisco homicide cop (Lee J. Cobb) spirals into a moral morass when his married socialite lover (Jane Wyatt, in a rare fatale role) "accidentally" bumps off her husband. Instead of playing it by the book (would that be noir?), he covers up the crime, only to have his younger brother (John Dall)-a rookie homicide dick-start putting together the pieces. This James M. Cain-style thriller gets maximum impact from its San Francisco locations, including a memorable climax at Fort Point.
Presented in a brand new 35mm restoration, funded by the Film Noir Foundation for the UCLA Film & Television Archive.
Join us at 6:00pm for a special pre-show performance from jazz artist Dmitri Methany!
Thursday, February 22, 2018
- Director: Felix E. Feist
- Principal Cast: Lee J. Cobb, Jane Wyatt
- Country: USA
- Year: 1950
- Running Time: 81 minutes
- Producer: Jack M. Warner
- Screenplay: Philip MacDonald, Seton I. Miller
- Cinematographers: Russell Harlan
- Editors: David Weisbart
- Music: Louis Forbes
- Filmography: Donovan’s Brain (1953); This Woman Is Dangerous (1952); The Devil Thumbs a Ride (1947); The Deluge (1933)
- Language: English
- Format: 35mm
- US Distributor: Twentieth Century Fox