International megastar Penélope Cruz (Parallel Mothers) leads this heartfelt, semiautobiographical drama (the first film in 11 years from acclaimed filmmaker Emanuele Crialese) as the mother of a gender-questioning young teenager amidst the shifting social landscape of 1970s Rome.
Rome, the '70s. Between neighborhoods under construction, black-and-white television varieties, social achievements, and outdated family models, Clara (Penélope Cruz) and Felice have just moved into a new apartment, but their marriage is over and only the children keep them united. The eldest daughter rejects her name and identity, insisting that she is a boy named Andrea. This brings the already fragile family balance to a breaking point. Emanuele Crialese returns to investigate the family, choosing to tell his personal story, that of a girl who rejects her female body and who looks impatiently at the transformation that will come, and of a mother, a nonconformist woman who is too modern for the historical period. The director's '70s are pop and colorful, his memories are in dialogue with those people who at the time listened to the same music, the same family quarrels, and the chatter of friends and relatives who played cards on vacation and lost sight of the children. Film works like memory, which turns into dreams. Crialese follows this flow with sweetness, emotion, and the desire to generously share one of the most intimate and secret moments of his life with the public.
- Director: Emanuele Crialese
- Principal Cast: Penélope Cruz, Luana Giuliani, Vincenzo Amato, Patrizio Francioni
- Country: Italy, France
- Year: 2022
- Running Time: 97 min.
- Producer: Lorenzo Gangarossa, Mario Gianani
- Screenplay: Emanuele Crialese, Francesca Manieri, Vittorio Moroni
- Cinematographers: Gergely Pohárnok
- Editors: Clelio Benevento
- Music: Rauelsson
- Website: Official Film Website
- Filmography: Golden Door (2006), Respiro (2002), Once We Were Strangers (1997)
- Language: Italian
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- US Distributor: Music Box Films
- International Sales: Pathé International / Festival Agency