SIFF Movie Club: The Holy Mountain
January 11, 2023
In a corrupt, greed-fueled world, a powerful alchemist leads a Christ-like character and seven materialistic figures to the Holy Mountain, where they hope to achieve enlightenment.
The scandal of the 1973 Cannes Film Festival, writer/director Alejandro Jodorowsky’s flood of sacrilegious imagery and existential symbolism in The Holy Mountain is a spiritual quest for enlightenment pitting illusion against truth. The Alchemist (Jodorowsky) assembles together a group of people from all walks of life to represent the planets in the solar system. The occult adept’s intention is to put his recruits through strange mystical rites and divest them of their worldly baggage before embarking on a trip to Lotus Island. There they ascend the Holy Mountain to displace the immortal gods who secretly rule the universe.
- Original Language Title: La montaña sagrada
- Director: Alejandro Jodorowsky
- Principal Cast: Alejandro Jodorowsky, Horacio Salinas, Zamira Saunders
- Country: Mexico
- Year: 1973
- Running Time: 114 min.
- Producer: Alejandro Jodorowsky
- Screenplay: Alejandro Jodorowsky
- Cinematographers: Rafael Corkidi
- Editors: Federico Landeros
- Music: Don Cherry, Ronald Frangipane, Alejandro Jodorowsky
- US Distributor: ABKCO