50 Years of SIFF: Captain Fantastic
November 6 - December 3, 2023
Viggo Mortensen stars in this heartfelt story of unconventional family values as the devoted father of a brood of six who live off the grid in the wilds of Washington state, until events lead them back to the outside world for the first time in decades.
Director Matt Ross delivers a heartfelt lesson of humanity in his unique Northwest tale Captain Fantastic. Deep in the forests of the Pacific Northwest, a devoted and non-traditionalist father, Ben (Viggo Mortensen), raises his six children (Bodevan, Nai, Rellian, Zaja, Kielyr, and Vespyr) with a rigorous physical and intellectual education. When a tragedy forces them to leave their wild paradise, his family begins a journey reintegrating into society after years of isolation. Having to face the reality and conformist values of the world they separated themselves from, they learn to question and challenge the new environment around them and the changes brought to their lives. From education, literature, and love to music and pop culture, his children discover the joys and flaws of this new world they’re thrown into while their father’s previous ideas about parenthood are dramatically challenged.
- Director: Matt Ross
- Principal Cast: Viggo Mortensen, Steve Zahn, Missi Pyle, Kathryn Hahn, George MacKay, Erin Moriarty, Frank Langella
- Country: USA
- Year: 2016
- Running Time: 120 min.
- Producer: Lynette Howell Taylor, Jamie Patricof, Shivani Rawat, Monica Levinson
- Screenplay: Matt Ross
- Cinematographers: Stéphane Fontaine
- Editors: Joseph Krings
- Music: Alex Somers
- Website: http://www.bleeckerstreetmedia.com/captainfantastic
- Filmography: Captain Fantastic (2016), 28 Hotel Rooms (2012)
- Language: English
- US Distributor: Bleecker Street
- International Sales: Entertainment One