Noir City: Call Northside 777
February 13, 2023
A Chicago reporter (Jimmy Stewart) is determined to free a convicted killer he believes has been unfairly imprisoned.
Individual Tickets: $15 | $10 SIFF members
Passes (valid for all Noir City screenings): $150 | $100 SIFF members
SIFF year-round passes and vouchers are not valid for Noir City screenings.
Hosted by acclaimed authors Rosemarie and Vince Keenan, also known as "Renee Patrick" for their five Lillian Frost/Edith Head mystery novels set in Los Angeles between 1937–40.
Jimmy Stewart gives a terrific performance as P.J. McNeal, a Chicago newspaper reporter determined to free a convicted killer (Richard Conte) he believes has been unfairly imprisoned for eleven years. The first Hollywood feature to be shot entirely on location in Chicago, Call Northside 777 boasts fantastic cinematography by Joseph MacDonald, and stellar supporting performances by Conte, Lee J. Cobb, and Helen Walker. Winner of the Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for Best Motion Picture of 1948. First time at Noir City!
Note courtesy of Noir City.
- Director: Henry Hathaway
- Principal Cast: James Stewart, Richard Conte, Lee J. Cobb, Helen Walker
- Country: USA
- Year: 1948
- Running Time: 111 min.
- Producer: Otto Lang
- Screenplay: Jerome Cady, Jay Dratler
- Cinematographers: Joseph MacDonald
- Editors: J. Watson Webb Jr.
- Music: Alfred Newman
- Filmography: True Grit (1969), The Trail of the Lonesome Pine (1936), How the West Was Won (1962), The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)
- Language: English
- US Distributor: 20th Century Fox, Disney