Noir City: Cry of the City
February 15, 2023
Victor Mature is the lawman and Richard Conte the fugitive crook he pursues across Manhattan with tragic results.
Individual Tickets: $15 | $10 SIFF members
Passes (valid for all Noir City screenings): $150 | $100 SIFF members
SIFF year-round passes and vouchers are not valid for Noir City screenings.
Hosted by acclaimed authors Rosemarie and Vince Keenan, also known as "Renee Patrick" for their five Lillian Frost/Edith Head mystery novels set in Los Angeles between 1937–40.
Perhaps the most perfectly realized, thematically and stylistically, of all Siodmak's noir films. Victor Mature is the lawman and Richard Conte the fugitive crook he pursues across Manhattan with tragic results. Shot entirely on location, Siodmak skips the semi-documentary vogue of the day, creating instead an Expressionistic urban landscape ideally suited to this mythic mid-20th-century tale of good and evil. Co-starring Shelley Winters, Debra Paget, Fred Clark, and a scary Hope Emerson in her startling screen debut.
Photo courtesy of The Film Noir Foundation. Note courtesy of Noir City.
- Director: Robert Siodomak
- Principal Cast: Victor Mature, Richard Conte, Fred Clark, Shelley Winters
- Country: USA
- Year: 1948
- Running Time: 95 min.
- Producer: Sol C. Siegel
- Screenplay: Richard Murphy, Ben Hecht
- Cinematographers: Lloyd Ahern
- Editors: Harmon Jones
- Music: Alfred Newman
- Filmography: The Killers (1946), Die Ratten (1955), The Devil Strikes at Night (1957), Portrait of a Sinner (1959)
- Language: English
- Format: 35mm
- US Distributor: 20th Century Fox, Disney