Noir City: Sleep, My Love
February 14, 2023
A woman awakens on a speeding train with no memory of how she got there. Her husband proposes hypnosis to uncover her mental instability.
Individual Tickets: $15 | $10 SIFF members
Passes (valid for all Noir City screenings): $150 | $100 SIFF members
SIFF year-round passes and vouchers are not valid for Noir City screenings.
Select showtime for pricing and tickets.
Tuesday, February 14, 2023
Alison Courtland (Claudette Colbert) awakens on a speeding train with no memory of how she got there. Reunited with her husband Richard (Don Ameche), he proposes hypnosis to uncover the root of his wife's mental instability. Overlooked in the noir canon because it was deemed a "woman's picture," Sleep, My Love is one of Sirk's strongest 1940s pictures, deftly combining witty humor, creepy atmospherics, and genuine thrills all anchored by the sprightly chemistry of co-stars Colbert and Robert Cummings.
Photo courtesy of The Film Noir Foundation. Note courtesy of Noir City. Restored by the UCLA Film & Television Archive in cooperation with Paramount Pictures.
- Director: Douglas Sirk
- Principal Cast: Claudette Colbert, Robert Cummings, Don Ameche, Rita Johnson, George Coulouris, Queenie Smith
- Country: USA
- Year: 1948
- Running Time: 97 min.
- Producer: Raplh Cohn, Charles ‘Buddy’ Rogers
- Screenplay: St. Clair McKelway, Leo Rosten
- Cinematographers: Joseph A. Valentine
- Editors: Lynn Harrison
- Music: Rudy Schrager
- Filmography: The Final Chord (1936), To New Shores (1937), The Tarnished Angels (1957), Imitation of Life (1959)
- Format: 35mm
- US Distributor: Paramount Repertory