Noir City: So Evil My Love
February 14, 2023
Romantic obsession leads a widow into aiding a charming rogue in a nefarious and deadly scheme.
Individual Tickets: $15 | $10 SIFF members
Passes (valid for all Noir City screenings): $150 | $100 SIFF members
SIFF year-round passes and vouchers are not valid for Noir City screenings.
Select showtime for pricing and tickets.
Tuesday, February 14, 2023
Devout missionary's widow Olivia Harwood (Ann Todd) falls under the spell of charming artist-rogue Mark Bellis (Ray Milland) on a steamship returning them to 1890s London from the West Indies. Sensing easy prey for his rakish charm, Bellis moves into Olivia's boardinghouse and soon has her in his thrall. Romantic obsession causes her to aid him in a nefarious and deadly scheme, leading to a shocking and bloody climax. Inspired by an actual never-solved murder, this is one of the great unheralded gothic-noir dramas of the 1940s. With Geraldine Fitzgerald.
Photo courtesy of The Film Noir Foundation. Note courtesy of Noir City.
- Director: Lewis Allen
- Principal Cast: Ray Milland, Ann Todd, Geraldine Fitzgerald
- Country: United Kingdom, USA
- Year: 1948
- Running Time: 112 min.
- Producer: Hal B. Wallis
- Screenplay: Ronald Millar, Leonard Spigelgass
- Cinematographers: Mutz Greenbaum
- Editors: Vera Campbell, Leonard Trumm
- Music: William Alwyn, Victor Young
- Filmography: The Uninvited (1944), Another Time, Another Place (1958), Desert Fury (1947)
- Language: English
- Format: 35mm
- US Distributor: Universal Pictures