Now Playing - Aug 18, 2022
A frank look at the romantic and sexual adventures of two BFFs and the driven ice skater one of them falls for.
Select showtime for pricing and tickets.
Tuesday, August 16, 2022
Wednesday, August 17, 2022
Thursday, August 18, 2022
This slice-of-life film is a poppy and energetic ode to female friendships, sexual exploration, and self-discovery, delivered through the entwining lives of three teenage girls. Best friends Rönkkö (Eleonoora Kauhanen) and Mimmi (Aamu Milonoff) work at a smoothie shop in the mall, where they discuss the highs and lows of their personal lives. Mimmi is trying to control her anger issues and figure out her family life after her mother has a baby with a new man and they lose their previous closeness. Rönkkö struggles with finding that physical spark with anyone she’s dating and is on the verge of simply giving up on love. Meanwhile, high-strung figure skater Emma (Linnea Leino) is starting to crack from the pressure of a future career in professional athletics and starts a relationship with Mimmi that neither of them are really prepared for. Atmospheric and boasting a captivating soundtrack, Girl Picture is a movie about teenage girls that is full of joy and nuance, refreshingly devoid of the manufactured bigotry and unwarranted trauma that so many queer, coming-of-age films carry on their back. —Emalie Soderback
- Director: Alli Haapasalo
- Principal Cast: Aamu Milonoff, Eleonoora Kauhanen, Linnea Leino
- Country: Finland
- Year: 2022
- Running Time: 100 min.
- Producer: Leila Lyytikäinen, Elina Pohjola
- Screenplay: Ilona Ahti, Daniela Hakulinen
- Cinematographers: Jarmo Kiuru
- Editors: Samu Heikkilä
- Awards: Sundance Film Festival 2022 (World Cinema Dramatic Competition Audience Award)
- Filmography: Force of Habit (2019), Love and Fury (2016)
- Language: Finnish
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- US Distributor: Strand Releasing
- International Sales: LevelK Film Sales