Opens March 13, 2020
The residents of a small Brazilian village find themselves under attack by a mysterious group of individuals from Europe and America in Kleber Mendonça Filho (Aquarius, Neighboring Sounds) and Juliano Dornelles' sci-fi/western riff on The Most Dangerous Game. Winner of the Jury Prize at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival.
A few years from now... Bacurau, a small village in the Brazilian sertão, mourns the loss of its matriarch, Carmelita, who lived to be 94. Days later, its inhabitants (among them Sônia Braga) notice that their village has literally vanished from most maps and a UFO-shaped drone starts flying overhead. There are forces that want to expel them from their homes, and soon, in a genre-bending twist, a band of armed mercenaries led by Udo Kier arrive in town picking off the inhabitants one by one. A fierce confrontation takes place when the townspeople turn the tables on the villainous outsiders, banding together by any means necessary to protect and maintain their remote community.
"The light touches of science fiction evoke present-day depravities, and the vision of local unity offers a thrillingly imaginative playbook for resistance."—Richard Brody, The New Yorker
- Director: Juliano Dornelles, Kleber Mendonça Filho
- Principal Cast: Bárbara Colen, Thomas Aquino, Silvero Pereira, Sônia Braga, Udo Kier
- Country: Brazil, France
- Year: 2019
- Running Time: 131 minutes
- Producer: Saïd Ben Saïd, Emilie Lesclaux, Michel Merkt
- Screenplay: Kleber Mendonça Filho, Juliano Dornelles
- Cinematographers: Pedro Sotero
- Language: Portuguese, English
- Has Subtitles: Yes