September 29, 2019
In this Hitchcockian thriller, when a sudden tragedy uproots the lives of two women and their families, they begin to question the relationships they once held so dear.
Best-pal neighbors and moms Céline and Alice (Veerie Baetens, The Broken Circle Breakdown) see their friendship take a darker turn when a devastating accident hits one of their households in this delightfully twisty period thriller that combines the tense thematic perversities of Alfred Hitchcock with an eye-popping sense of color and decor that recalls the Technicolor best of Douglas Sirk or Pedro Almodóvar. Skillfully uncovering the fault lines of 1950s suburban niceties, Belgian director Olivier Masset-Depasse finds the sinister side of maternal devotion as Céline and Alice move from martini glasses and cubed cheese to knives and chloroform.
- Original Language Title: Duelles
- Director: Olivier Masset-Depasse
- Principal Cast: Veerle Baetens, Anne Coesens, Medhi Nebbou, Arieh Worthalter
- Country: Belgium, France
- Year: 2018
- Running Time: 97 minutes
- Producer: Jacques-Henri Bronckart, Olivier Bronckart
- Screenplay: Olivier Masset-Depasse and Giordano Gederlini, with the collaboration of François Verjans, based on the novel Derrière la haine by Barbara Abel, published by Éditions Fleuve Noir
- Cinematographers: Hichame Alouie
- Language: French
- Has Subtitles: Yes