The Devil’s Backbone
August 19, 2022
Auteur August: Guillermo del Toro
Set during the final week of the Spanish Civil War, The Devil's Backbone tells the tale of a twelve-year-old boy who, after his freedom-fighting father is killed, is sent to a haunted rural orphanage full of terrible secrets. Presented in 35mm.
Passes are available for each director's weeklong series, as well as ticket 6-packs which can be used for any Auteur August film (regardless of director).
During the final year of the Spanish Civil War, a young boy called Carlos is sent to live in a remote orphanage. The orphanage is full of rumours—hidden gold, a mysterious disappearance, a still-ticking bomb—and as Carlos explores the grounds, he realises that there is a supernatural presence that suggests a terrible secret has yet to be uncovered.
- Original Language Title: El Espinazo del Diablo
- Director: Guillermo del Toro
- Principal Cast: Marisa Paredes, Eduardo Noriega, Íñigo Garcés, Federico Luppi, Irene Visedo
- Country: Spain
- Year: 2001
- Running Time: 106 min.
- Producer: Agustín Almodóvar, Bertha Navarro
- Screenplay: Guillermo del Toro, Antonio Trashorras, David Muñoz
- Cinematographers: Guillermo Navarro
- Editors: Luis de la Madrid
- Music: Javier Navarrete
- Language: Spanish
- Format: 35mm
- US Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics