Hunt for the Wilderpeople
August 11, 2022
The latest from New Zealand director Taika Waititi (What We Do In the Shadows) is a heartwarming adventure comedy about a "bad egg" foster kid who triggers a manhunt when he escapes into the forest with his cantankerous new guardian (Sam Neill).
Passes are available for each director's weeklong series, as well as ticket 6-packs which can be used for any Auteur August film (regardless of director).
Ricky’s a kid from the city: a lover of hip-hop, snacks, and getting into trouble, and a product of foster homes that just can’t seem to deal with him. His frustrated caseworker tells it plainly: “He’s a bad egg.” With one last chance to have a family before he’s thrown back into the system and potentially into juvenile lockup, Ricky relocates to the New Zealand countryside to stay with the overly sweet Aunt Bella and cantankerous Uncle Hec. There’s not much chance to stir up trouble on their remote farmland, and Ricky soon begins to fall into a calm familiarity and routine. Maybe this time he’s really found a home. Yet a twist of fate changes everything, and when Ricky’s threatened with being thrown back into the court system, he goes running for the thick wilderness instead, with grumpy old Uncle Hec hot on his trail. Equals parts buddy comedy, coming-of-age story, and survivalist film, with high-octane performances from newcomer Julian Dennison and veteran Kiwi actor Sam Neill (The Omen III, Possession, The Hunt for Red October), Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a perfect blend of backwoods zaniness and sentimentality.
- Director: Taika Waititi
- Principal Cast: Julian Dennison, Sam Neill, Rima Te Wiata, Rachel House, Oscar Kightley
- Country: New Zealand
- Year: 2016
- Running Time: 93 min.
- Producer: Taika Waititi, Carthew Neal, Leanne Saunders, Matt Noonan
- Screenplay: Taika Waititi
- Cinematographers: Lachlan Milne
- Editors: Luke Haigh, Thomas Eagles, Yana Gorskaya
- Music: Luke Buda, Samuel Scott, Conrad Wedde
- Website: http://www.wilderpeople.com/
- Filmography: What We Do in the Shadows (2014), Boy (2010), Eagle Vs Shark (2007)
- Language: English
- US Distributor: 1091 Media
- International Sales: Protagonist Pictures