Digital marquee updated in July.
Path to Opening SIFF Cinema Downtown
Updates about our progress on opening the former Seattle Cinerama Theater.
Want to provide support with a one-time or recurring gift? Make a donation to help us with reopening and first-year costs. Gifts support SIFF in reactivating one of the world’s most memorable cinematic experiences.
Have other questions or comments? Email us at email@example.com.
UPDATES AND NOTABLES:
- November 1, 2023 - SIFF announces that it will open December 14, 2023 with Wonka. Read full press release.
- October 12, 2023 - SIFF Cinema signs were added to the exterior of the building, following the removal of previous signage on October 5.
- October 5, 2023 - The building’s exterior Cinerama-branded signage was removed, due to the terms of the sale being that the name could not be transferred with the property (read more in FAQs). As the previous owners, Vulcan is now in possession of the signs and will be finding their next home. New signage will be installed soon.
- August 15, 2023 - The King County Council passed an ordinance that included $1,000,000 for SIFF in support of the theater's reopening. Many thanks to Councilmember Jeanne Kohl-Welles and Budget Chair Joe McDermott, the King County Council, and all of our supporters.
- August 8, 2023 - The Seattle City Council voted 8-0 to approve the budget amendment that includes a grant of $950,000 to SIFF in support of the theater's reopening, allowing us to open the doors to the public as soon as possible. Our thanks to Councilmember Andrew Lewis for leading this legislative effort and all who wrote it to the City Council on SIFF's behalf.
- August 2, 2023 - Legislation sponsored by Councilmember Andrew J. Lewis to help re-open the Cinerama theater and partner with us to support public benefit programming passed a key committee vote. Thanks to the SIFF community for emailing Councilmembers in support of Lewis' amendment! Read the City Council news release.
- August 1, 2023 - SIFF encourages its supporters to email Seattle City Councilmembers in advance of the Finance Committee's vote at 9:30am on August 2 on Councilmember Andrew Lewis' amendment to include $950,000 in the City’s mid-year supplemental budget for SIFF's reopening of the Seattle Cinerama Theater. Read more and get sample email text.
- July 27, 2023 - Seattle City Councilmember Andrew Lewis and Metropolitan King County Councilmember Jeanne Kohl-Welles and Budget Chair Joe McDermott propose legislation to aid in reopening the theater in support of programming & activations for the public benefit. Read the press release.
- May 11, 2023 - At Opening Night of the 49th Seattle International Film Festival, SIFF announces its acquisition of the Seattle Cinerama Theater from the estate of Paul G. Allen. Read the press release.