August 24, 2022
In the Falangist Spain of 1944, the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world, where magical realism meets gothic fairy tale.
Passes are available for each director's weeklong series, as well as ticket 6-packs which can be used for any Auteur August film (regardless of director).
Select showtime for pricing and tickets.
Wednesday, August 24, 2022
Spain, 1944. Officially, the Civil War has been over for five years, but a small group of rebels fights on unbroken in the northern mountains of Navarra. Dreamy 10-year-old Ofelia moves to Navarra with her delicate, pregnant mother Carmen, to become acquainted with her new stepfather, Captain Vidal, a Fascist officer under orders to rid the territory of rebels. Captain Vidal has billeted himself inside a crumbling mill; imperious and intimidating, he makes no effort to befriend his stepdaughter. To cope with the hardships of everyday life, the girl retreats into an imaginary world of her own creation. Through her fantasy life, which expresses the anxiety and dislocation of her real one, she discovers a way to come to terms with her environment in a fable of her own creation.
- Original Language Title: El Laberinto Del Fauno
- Director: Guillermo del Toro
- Principal Cast: Sergi Lopez, Maribel Verdu, Doug Jones, Alex Angulo, Ariadna Gil
- Country: Spain
- Year: 2006
- Running Time: 110 min.
- Producer: Álvaro Augustin, Alfonso Cuarón, Guillermo del Toro, Bertha Navarro, Frida Torresblanco
- Screenplay: Guillermo del Toro
- Cinematographers: Guillermo Navarro
- Music: Javier Navarrete
- Awards: Official Oscar Submission 2006 (Foreign Language Film)
- Language: Spanish
- US Distributor: Warner Brothers
- International Sales: Wild Bunch