Saturday Morning Cartoons: The Girl Without Hands
June 17, 2023
The legend of a girl who is sold to the Devil, then loses her hands when she attempts to escape. Recommended for ages 12+.
Select showtime for pricing and tickets.
Saturday, June 17, 2023
In hard times, a miller sells his daughter to the Devil. Protected by her purity, she escapes from the Devil who, in revenge, deprives her of her hands. So begins her long journey towards the light… but in spite of her resilience and the new protection of a handsome prince’s estate, the Devil devises a plan of his own. The Girl Without Hands is the audacious feature debut from acclaimed short filmmaker Sébastien Laudenbach, whose beautiful and dreamlike take on the Brothers Grimm story has created an adult fairytale destined to become a classic. Hand-painted with lush, evocative details and featuring the voices of Anaïs Demoustier (The New Girlfriend) and Jérémie Elkaïm (Declaration of War), the film premiered in the ACID section at Cannes, was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the César Awards, and won both the Jury Prize and the award for Best French Film at the Annecy Animation Festival.
- Original Language Title: La jeune fille sans mains
- Director: Sébastien Laudenbach
- Principal Cast: Voices: Anaïs Demoustier, Jéremie Elkaïm, Philippe Laudenbach, Olivier Broche
- Country: France
- Year: 2016
- Running Time: 80 min.
- Producer: Jean-Christophe Soulageon
- Screenplay: Sébastien Laudenbach
- Cinematographers: Sébastien Laudenbach
- Editors: Santi Minasi, Sébastien Laudenbach
- Music: Olivier Mellano
- Website: Official Film Website
- Awards: Annecy Film Festival 2016 (Jury Distinction), Tokyo Anime Festival 2017 (Grand Prize), Anim’Est 2016 (Best Film), Bucheon Animation Festival 2016 (Grand Prize), Official Oscar Submission 2018 (Animated Feature)
- Language: French
- Has Subtitles: Yes
- US Distributor: GKids
- International Sales: Pyramide International